Wednesday, July 1, 2009

What Sucks with Social Networking

I am doing my best to get my GenX brain around this whole social networking thing. I also have to explain that I am a borderline GenX'er and was extremely close to being a 'Boomer.

That being said, I have done everything I know how to do with LinkedIn and Twitter. I guess at this point - I have about 317 connections on LinkedIn and belong to 19 groups. On Twitter - I am following 12 people and have 9 people following me.

I obviously find some value or at least potential value by using these tools - but that's no fun to write about, so I thought I would instead right about what sucks.

- I am sick of these groups on LinkedIn. I am bombarded with group discussion boards, when more than half are commercials in disguise or just blatant job postings. LinkedIn needs a better way for Group Leaders to police this. I admit that in the early days - I was trying to promote - until I realized how much it bugged me. So - yes - I was an ass and I apologize to anyone I offended.

- You can't sync accounts. If you by chance set up 2 separate accounts on LinkedIn and are trying to merge - don't bother. When you look it up in the FAQs - it says "Don't bother".

- Why do I have strippers following me on Twitter? I am a neophyte on Twitter, but this week I got notice that some lovely looking woman was now following me. When I looked at her BIO - I realized she was a stripper. Not that I am against strippers, but I was trying to envision myself at my Twitter home page with my wife seeing this seductive stipper sending me comments about what she was doing at the moment.

- Why is it so hard to find people on Twitter? I look up Bill Gates, and it tells me I can follow "NotBillGates". However - I did find and begin following Barack Obama. Mostly - because I am most curious on the subjects that our leader Tweets on. We'll see how that goes, but for now - it is boring.

- How to Tweet your horn. Now that I have 9 people following me - all but one that are not strippers - I feel compelled to tweet. However - I am striking out on what to say. "Hey - just got done eating a burger and it was yummy", or "just mowed the lawn - man its hot".

Anyway - thanks for letting me rant.

Peace Out

BFF Adam

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Adam -

Oh, man, I share your frustration. I am one up on you, though - I had two strippers contact me on the same day on Twitter.

I, too, find it hard to keep a fresh supply of pithy 140 character anecdotes that don't sound trite or sales pitchy. I'm also not going to update you on every little move I make - TMI, for sure!

The ones that I've seen that are the best at this are those that share observations and takeaways from news items, conversations with customers, and general thoughts about events of the day. I'm more of a questioner - posting questions that might start a conversation or debate. So far, that's mixed.

We are generational "tweeners" - savvy enough to know that we're missing out if we don't jump on the socnet bandwagon, but maybe not vain enough to believe that our every thought is worth sharing. In the meantime, I'll follow you - just to see if you figure it out before I do!

Steve said...

One of my favorite Twitter feeds to follow is @Twitter_Tips. They have a lot of good tips, tricks, and facts about using Twitter. So if you're looking for ideas on what to tweet about or how to best use Twitter, @Twitter_Tips is a good follow.