Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Why I Hope Tiger Wins

Being a Minnesotan, I spent Monday afternoon over at Hazeltine National as PGA Championship week kicked off. While it was only a practice round on Monday, everyone was asking of there were any Tiger sightings. Tiger was there bright and early, but we got there late and missed him.

Of course, Tiger is once again favored as he has won an astounding 30% of tournaments he has entered. What perplexes me is that each and every week, I find myself rooting for Tiger to win, even though he has more money than god and may be considered the greatest golfer if he does nothing else.

Why it is perplexing is that like many, I am always for the underdog. Whether it is a football, tennis, baseball or hockey contest - I almost always root for the underdog. I think it is built into our DNA.

However, when it comes to Tiger - I am always hoping that he wins. Why? In analyzing my brain, I think it is simply because I love the way he prepares himself and am absolutely astounded by his mental preparation. In short, he can almost will himself to win. As a colleague told me this morning - he just gives his opponents the Jedi glance, and they crumble. The only other parallel I can draw is to Lance Armstrong.

I think that these two human beings are case studies for mental fortitude. in many ways, they are heros of mine, as they always seem to rise to the occasion. When I wake up in the morning and begin thinking about ID Insight - I remind myself of what it takes to be a Tiger.

He is an inspiration to me and many others, and I hope that he is able to will himself to his 15th major this week.

A.E>>>

No comments: